Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Other Untold African Story

“The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story.” ― Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

When we hear only a single story about another person or country, we risk a critical misunderstanding. I've always had a problem with problematic representation of Africa in Western media. Usually Africa finds herself in the western news only when it fits into pre-existing-stereotype that had been created for the continent. It makes me feel helpless when i think of the power of these media giants and the size of the problem. On one side It's frustrating because I don't know a perfect solution for it. One the other side I know Africa has a bright story that needs to be told to everyone in the world. Eg. This Crowdmaps shows there are more than 45 tech hubs, tech labs, business incubators and hacker spaces on the continent. Am aspiring to be a story archaeologist and dig all genius entrepreneurial and startup stories that needed to be told to the world. Your Story, my story, Africa's story need to be heard loud and clear both inside and outside the continent. It's time to impact Africa one story a time.
This is a good start. Watch this TEDtalk to get more glimpse on what's happening.

 
 Once in a while though, they run positive story such like this, (BBC)Why the world’s technology giants are investing in Africa.  But it's like hit-and-run. They don't stay there and track the progress.

There is a need for more voice. Not just for voice of news, but for voice of stories too. I want to amplify that voice, the voice of the doers and makers in my own way.  So that the ones who hear it will be inspired  to DO. When they do, we'll have more stories to tell about the DOers for the generations to come.

I'm in a process of starting an exciting project, something I'll announce soon. I can't contain myself, too excited. In the mean time wish me good luck.


Africa's Tech Hubs and Hackerspaces


Image Credit : Here
Cheers for the stories yet to be told. Billion Stories!

Update: TED has published another blog on this for further read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment